[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
I get so tired of this argument. the simple fact is it does cost more. I can get it for the same amount using the enchanting system. It cost the same in reg FTB mod packs. There is no balance reason to have it cost more period. It isn't a ground breaking modifer i mean what else are you keep silk touch around for in Skyblock maps for. there are no ore in most cases. and after you get a harvester going you don't even need the thing which make the enchant next to worthless. This new change for skyblock map just ensures that no one will use it. you already have to unlock cobble and then cobble gen. After that spend a 15-20 minutes with your hammer gaining the gravel only to have to get 12 stacks and pray for 9 to drop. It doesn't even make since for 9 gems to make 1 gem. You would think i was trying to make a MFSU.

I'm curious, is there some special trick to enchanting something with silk touch?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Long term I'd love to see more of a tiered system where the first settlements we approach are small, risks and rewards are far lighter, think the bedroom communities and farm towns that surround metro regions. By the time you get to the rewards you describe I'd have had you hack/fly through the equivalent of a good portion of a major metro region.....

I like this idea even better than my own (of smeltery requiring you hit one building and grabbing some lame piece of wall or desk as a request/smeltery reward)

The quest book should lead you to a much simpler village than the city. Bonus if the village has a sign or something with coords of another city.

Reactions: Genshou

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
It's not the ocean biome that makes it salt water. It's an alien planet with so much mineral/metals in its soil that some of it just naturally leaks out into the water. That osmosis thing:p

And the recipe disabled so you'll just have to work that much harder for you mats until you get the smeltery doubling and later tripling affects, probably? Besides, why else would you want to go visit that mob infested hellhole:rolleyes:
it is actual easier now to get a smelter going. There is no need to grind you just need to find the building with the smelter in it and grab the tp out.
At the end of the day, crucibles are cheap and they run for free (no fuel). But granted you do go through more plant matter.

It was also easier to automate than dirty water imo.

Question: can anyone give me a mindlessly simple point-form explanation of how to use this sync/shell business?
The fluid trans is better. even thought it takes power you still have the chance to drop saplings when used for leaves which in turn can be used for dirt or put back in for more water. the crucible just melts the leave. If you put a tank or drum on top and set the water to out put it also doesn't require pipes making it also cheaper then the crucible.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
it is actual easier now to get a smelter going. There is no need to grind you just need to find the building with the smelter in it and grab the tp out.

The fluid trans is better. even thought it takes power you still have the chance to drop saplings when used for leaves which in turn can be used for dirt or put back in for more water. the crucible just melts the leave. If you put a tank or drum on top and set the water to out put it also doesn't require pipes making it also cheaper then the crucible.
You must be at a point in the game where you're able to create power :)

I wonder if those redstone energy cells I found were loaded with juice, hmm.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I'm curious, is there some special trick to enchanting something with silk touch?
yes there is you can go online and look up the highestlevel you need to have the highest chance of getting silk touch. Then just get that much xp. You can also make sure you use item that can only get a few enchants and silky being one of them kind of like when people want repair in FTB mod pack with Thuamcraft added in. How many level 30 item could you get in 30 days. TiCo books are easy to make and require no leather. You can get 4 Obi in the 1st 2-3 days. You can have a level 30 enchant table running with in i say 4 days. That would leave you 26 days to grab level 30 enchant. My test i got 1 in 4 diamond shovels. An iron axe with silky is best tryed at levels 21, 25, 26 , and 30 as you have 7% or higher chance. If you use gold for the axe you can get it as low as 17th level with w 7.2% chance.

http://www.minecraftenchantmentcalculator.com/rev5/[DOUBLEPOST=1408109714][/DOUBLEPOST]

you can create power at the start. the surviv generator is cheap and can be set to auto run 24/7 off of planks. since it only gives off 5 no matter what you use you can run it off planks for cheap and have power.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Is it nuts that I'd prefer to spend my xp on armor enchants? Given that I can get emeralds/ST just by letting my sieves/cobblegens grind away, and I can't get special armor that way, I'd rather spend the xp where its most useful.[DOUBLEPOST=1408109802][/DOUBLEPOST]
you can create power at the start. the surviv generator is cheap and can be set to auto run 24/7 off of planks. since it only gives off 5 no matter what you use you can run it off planks for cheap and have power.
good info, thanks. I thought I saw in an youtube video that the generators all required something I dont have (a pcb something or other). I never did actually look at the recipe.

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
yes there is you can go online and look up the highestlevel you need to have the highest chance of getting silk touch. Then just get that much xp. You can also make sure you use item that can only get a few enchants and silky being one of them kind of like when people want repair in FTB mod pack with Thuamcraft added in. How many level 30 item could you get in 30 days. TiCo books are easy to make and require no leather. You can get 4 Obi in the 1st 2-3 days. You can have a level 30 enchant table running with in i say 4 days. That would leave you 26 days to grab level 30 enchant. My test i got 1 in 4 diamond shovels. An iron axe with silky is best tryed at levels 21, 25, 26 , and 30 as you have 7% or higher chance. If you use gold for the axe you can get it as low as 17th level with w 7.2% chance.

Again I'm curious what item you can enchant so that you can get the leaves with the item being destroyed? The normal items only have 1 durability. Except Invar ones. But if you got invar to spare why not just use invar shears?

Not trying to be difficult, but it sounded like you had a secret technique that I didn't know about.

Personally I focus on the secret quest to get the machine frame to make a pulverizer to make gravel. 2 survival generator run it about the same speed that the AA can use the sifter.
And with all the spawners in the city, finishing the quest will be easier now.

Hamburger76

Jul 29, 2019

Powering a transposer is easy. I'm surprised you don't have power running before raiding the cities. Survivalist Generator ftw total cost is something like 11 cobblestone, 2 Redstone, and an iron ingot. Or was it a gold ingot? I'm at work depending on memory, but either way its easy enough power and since a single charcoal/coal/wood burns for over 20 min, it's cheap enough to keep running 24/7. :)

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Powering a transposer is easy. I'm surprised you don't have power running before raiding the cities. Survivalist Generator ftw total cost is something like 11 cobblestone, 2 Redstone, and an iron ingot. Or was it a gold ingot? I'm at work depending on memory, but either way its easy enough power and since a single charcoal/coal/wood burns for over 20 min, it's cheap enough to keep running 24/7. :)

You'll be less surprised when you understand how poorly prepared I was for the cities, and how often I got owned by suicidal tower-leaping pigmen.

tetshio

Jul 29, 2019

5 cobblestone, 2 redstone, 1 furnace, 1 iron ingot. I like using 1 block of charcoal. 4 hours+ power :cool:

Reactions: Pyure

Hamburger76

Jul 29, 2019
You'll be less surprised when you understand how poorly prepared I was for the cities, and how often I got owned by suicidal tower-leaping pigmen.
You're braver than me, I'm about 22 days in this round and playing it safe....city was bad mojo for me. Really bad mojo.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Is it nuts that I'd prefer to spend my xp on armor enchants? Given that I can get emeralds/ST just by letting my sieves/cobblegens grind away, and I can't get special armor that way, I'd rather spend the xp where its most useful.[DOUBLEPOST=1408109802][/DOUBLEPOST]
good info, thanks. I thought I saw in an youtube video that the generators all required something I dont have (a pcb something or other). I never did actually look at the recipe.
not the survivial one unless he changed it. it is the only one that was left unchange so you could have a little starting power. I haven't chack the recipe for 1.1.12 yet though so give it a look.[DOUBLEPOST=1408114326][/DOUBLEPOST]
Again I'm curious what item you can enchant so that you can get the leaves with the item being destroyed? The normal items only have 1 durability. Except Invar ones. But if you got invar to spare why not just use invar shears?

Not trying to be difficult, but it sounded like you had a secret technique that I didn't know about.

Personally I focus on the secret quest to get the machine frame to make a pulverizer to make gravel. 2 survival generator run it about the same speed that the AA can use the sifter.
And with all the spawners in the city, finishing the quest will be easier now.
To be honest i hate those hammers i would rather have it hooked up to where you could break the ore down in the grinding stone...hint hint...:)

In Thaymcraft 4 you can make the The Hoe of Growth. What people do when they want repair is they enchant the hoe and then disenchant it on to a book. they then take the book and put it into the Book copying machine. There is one that takes power and copies enchanted book and there is one that makes three copies of the same book enchant but require you to make a plate for xp depending on the enchanted book.

Using this in game you can make a auto disenchant and strip off the silky from a val tools and put that enchanted book on something using an anvil or the auto anvil as long as it can be enchanted. You can even use auto enchant and automatically get enchanted books to add to tools. All you would need is a 1by3 hole with a way to hit the leggings. You can even set yet a Vacuum hopper next to an AA next to the said trap and have it collect the xP and loot drop for the enchnating system. And you would get all this set up way before you could get 9 emeralds for the TiCo

Last edited:

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
I get so tired of this argument. the simple fact is it does cost more. I can get it for the same amount using the enchanting system. It cost the same in reg FTB mod packs. There is no balance reason to have it cost more period. It isn't a ground breaking modifer i mean what else are you keep silk touch around for in Skyblock maps for. there are no ore in most cases. and after you get a harvester going you don't even need the thing which make the enchant next to worthless. This new change for skyblock map just ensures that no one will use it. you already have to unlock cobble and then cobble gen. After that spend a 15-20 minutes with your hammer gaining the gravel only to have to get 12 stacks and pray for 9 to drop. It doesn't even make since for 9 gems to make 1 gem. You would think i was trying to make a MFSU.
Well, I used my AA to collect an entire 27 stacks of gravel while I did other stuff, then used the same AA to sift 11-12 stacks of gravel to get the 9 emeralds while I did other stuff. *shrug* not a big deal to me. You're thinking of silk touch in terms where it's not a big deal or not hard to get it in other mod packs or even vanilla, but in this pack, having silk touch on a hatchet or scythe is a pretty big upgrade from using sheers. In fact, you could even survive without silk touch until you get your MFR harvester and just use the collect leaves option.

DarkSpectrum

Jul 29, 2019
It's still possible to make seared stone from cobblestone after scavenging your first smeltery:

(1) Smelt seared stone -> 144mB of seared stone
(2) Put cobblestone to the basin and pour 72mB of seared stone on top of it -> 1 seared cobblestone
(3) Smelt seared cobblestone -> 144mB of seared stone
(4) Repeat

You get 72mB of seared stone from each cobblestone.

And I really hope that this stays. Looking for factories and smeltery tech for the first time is still fun and interesting, but having to do it every time you want to build another layer for your smeltery is just tedious.

In my opinion scavenging and exploring should be only used to unlock new technologies: f.ex. you need to find your your smeltery, but after that you can create resources and build more if you want to.
You don't even need a smeltery to be that big with the high oven but the various seared blocks do make for nice decor.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
After that spend a 15-20 minutes with your hammer gaining the gravel only to have to get 12 stacks and pray for 9 to drop. It doesn't even make since for 9 gems to make 1 gem. You would think i was trying to make a MFSU.
I too get tired of this argument, as has been stated elsewhere it sounds like you are not doing a great job of automating your sieving proccess, but it really doesn't take much effort to sieve 12 stacks of gravel particulary as you'll be gathering loads of other useful materials in the proccess.

yes in BnB, you can find a village, and travel in and out of range each day before nightfal and eventually trade for enough emeralds, but I have a hard time calling that easier than killing a handfull of mobs from a secure base, then using a quest reward to auto collect emeralds for me.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Well, I used my AA to collect an entire 27 stacks of gravel while I did other stuff, then used the same AA to sift 11-12 stacks of gravel to get the 9 emeralds while I did other stuff. *shrug* not a big deal to me. You're thinking of silk touch in terms where it's not a big deal or not hard to get it in other mod packs or even vanilla, but in this pack, having silk touch on a hatchet or scythe is a pretty big upgrade from using sheers. In fact, you could even survive without silk touch until you get your MFR harvester and just use the collect leaves option.
How is a it big deal having it and you can even not use it and get the same effect? and i Think I would rather have my AA sieving. I would not make 2 AA at the start when there are more usefull stuff to be made.

Last edited:

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I think the one argument magzie makes, hits home. What use is the silky touch enchantment on ticon tools? Limited since it's skyblock. Given that, it seems sort of a gimmie to make it somewhat easy to obtain somewhat early on.

Iskandar (iirc) even said that he'd change that if it was a config change (it is) but not if it wasn't. I don't see the argument here. 1.1.3 probably will have that change, iskandar just has to verify this.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I too get tired of this argument, as has been stated elsewhere it sounds like you are not doing a great job of automating your sieving proccess, but it really doesn't take much effort to sieve 12 stacks of gravel particulary as you'll be gathering loads of other useful materials in the proccess.

yes in BnB, you can find a village, and travel in and out of range each day before nightfal and eventually trade for enough emeralds, but I have a hard time calling that easier than killing a handfull of mobs from a secure base, then using a quest reward to auto collect emeralds for me.
I record all my actions in my Let's Plays, rofl. My auto sieving is on cam and on the thread. rofl

So being able to get 9 emeralds in 1 day is not better and easier then then a RNG roll off of gravel that will take days to get 1-2? now i'm confused. And you forget there is emerald ore in BnBs which can be mine in the right locations. The only way in a skyblock is through the sieving.